Thursday, August 25, 2022

GTNP (part two) - An Emotional Experience

Monday was a pretty emotional day for me.  Not really sure why talking about my brother-in-law Rex to some strangers (aka "friends I'd yet to meet") at the Chapel of the Transformation in Grand Teton National Park (GTNP) had me overwhelmed with emotion, but it did.  I actually think it was the outpouring of empathy and concern expressed for me . . . directly and indirectly.  I know my presence, with Rex's remains, impacted others.

There was a tour bus full of middle to senior aged tourists on the grounds when I got up from the Menor's Historic District area.  They were mostly in and around the church as I approached so I took a seat and waited patiently for my time to stage the photo I wanted to take.  The view as you can see, is too amazing to not want to commit it to memory through a photograph.

As I step up with Rex's urn, one lady asked me if it contained the ashes of a loved one.  I replied that yes, my friend died in May and I was sharing my summer adventures with him.  She thought that was a memorable way to pay tribute to him.

I could hear her telling others in the back of the church, and when I exited, there were whispers as I walked by some of the couples.  One lady came up to me out in the parking lot and asked if I was OK, as I had been fighting the tears and sniffling back the snot building in my nose.  Like a 10 year old, I used my hoodie sleeve to wipe my face and tears.  She said, "Can I give you a hug now?  You look like you need a friend."

I chuckled and said I had a friend with me, thinking of Rex, but also accepted her friendly gesture of comfort.  People can be so kind and generous with their emotion and empathy.  In the car, I broke down into a full and blubbering cry, as much about the thoughtfulness of truly a PERFECT stranger, turned friend.

The Chapel of the Sacred Heart is another church in Grand Teton National Park. It was built in 1937, and continues to provide worship services today.  I have driven by this one a dozen times over the years, but never took the time to stop to see it.

I'm glad that on this day, I had the time and inspiration to do so.
The stained glass window at the front, caught my eye as I approached the front of the building.  I had to stop and take it all in, before entering.



Inside, the rustic and modest building felt like I was walking back in time.  The pews and kneelers looked to be original to when the church was built.  There were prayer books available for parishioners and guests.  I took a few moments looking for inspiration, finding a passage that had me fondly remembering my childhood experiences going to church with my family.

I reflected on the innocence of children and how the world has changed in over 50 years.  I felt old like "someone's grandmother" which is odd since I've never had kids!

Before leaving, I took this photo as I shared a moment here with Rex as well. 

Many people have written that exploring our US National Parks can be a near religious experience.  While I am a spiritual person, I don't consider myself particularly religious . . . not in the traditional or biblical sense.  Having the opportunity to live, work and play in one of the greatest national parks in the world, is something that will be with me until the day I take my last breath.  I hope to never take for granted the ability to travel freely and to enjoy as much of the great things here on Planet Earth.

Yes . . . I am living the dream!

I'll close this blog entry with one of the most iconic images from The Tetons!  I hope you enjoy the majestic beauty of Mt. Moran and its reflection in the Snake River as seen from Oxbow Bend.


2 comments:

  1. Ash scattering is a profound experience. You told this beautifully and honored Rex in a wonderful way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellen. Thanks for commenting. I'm glad you feel I did Rex proud. He's had a wonderful summer with me in many wonderful places. My sister Pam has enjoyed seeing my tributes to him and our adventures, too.

    ReplyDelete